Book marketing conference in Utah in 2018! Yes, it’s going to happen.
I’ve been working with several non-profit organizations since early 2017 to plan a book marketing conference for 2018 and we’ve finally nailed down a location and a date. The conference will be held on Friday March 23, 2018 at the Viridian Events Center in West Jordan, Utah. It will be the first conference of its kind in Utah for the organizing entities – The League of Utah Writers, the LDS Publishing Professionals Association, the Utah Chapter of the Society for Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators, the Utah Chapter of the Horror Writers of America, and the Utah Chapter of the Romance Writers of America.
We’ve noticed that many of our writing conferences in Utah focus largely on writing craft (a good thing!) but only a limited time on book marketing and we want to do something about that. So we’ve planned the 2018 book marketing conference.
The conference would focus on book marketing tips, strategies, and market trends and would be aimed at providing authors with ideas and insights to better sell their stories. We’re not focusing on writing craft (unless it has to do with marketing, e.g., writing back cover blurbs that hook readers), but are planning on classes in the same vein as these few following examples:
- Step-by-step classes on subjects such as setting up effective Facebook ads
- Setting up a system to gather fan contacts (e.g., MailChimp set up)
- How to run effect email campaigns
- How to set up and run an effective book launch
- How to set up and run effective book signings
- The science of a good book cover
- The state of the book-selling market (i.e., what’s hot, what’s not)
- How to get your self-published books in bookstores
Be sure to stay tuned! We’ll be advertising the conference and announcing presenters in the coming weeks and months and will set up registration shortly. Currently we have a Utah’s Book Marketing Conference (UBMC) Facebook Page up and running, a UBMC Facebook Event set, and a UBMC Facebook Group created where you can find information on the 2018 symposium.